Individuals who are charged with an offense in Los Alamos Municipal Court, which includes jail time as a possible sentence and who meet financial indigence requirements may apply for a public defender to represent them at all phases of their criminal proceedings.
To apply you must make an appointment by calling the probation department of the Los Alamos Municipal Court at (505) 662-8027.
At your appointment the interviewer will complete an eligibility determination form with you, as well as review pertinent financial documents.
It is recommended that the defendant bring as many of the following as possible to the interview to assist in making a determination:
- Copies of current bank statements (savings & checking)
- Documentation of welfare or any aid received
- Proof of rental or mortgage payment
- Receipts for any outstanding obligations such as vehicle loan, child support, medical bills, utilities, etc.
- Stocks, bonds or saving bonds including an estimate of current value
- Monthly income pay stubs or statement from employer for one month
- IRS returns filed for the past three years
- If you reside with anyone, information on that person's employment and wages for one year
The Municipal Court follows the State of New Mexico's guidelines for indigence.
Los Alamos Municipal Court
505-662-8025 FAX 662-8365